This guys was born with a passion for music. Master of the piano and guitar by the tender of age of 15, Jimbo has left his imprint on American music.
Often featured on NPR shows such as “The Prarie Home Companion”, Mathus’ band, the “Squirrel Nut Zippers” had a brutal breakup in 2000. As you are aware, they have done some touring since then, but the lawsuits following the breakups were so frustrating.
But Jimbo’s not one to be kept down for long. He just released a new album Blue Healer for 2015, and his sound (and musical ingenuity) is going strong. You can catch a snippet of his music below.
With Mathus moving on, we want to use this site to discuss some of the awesome southern and rockabilly music that is out there, and maybe introduce you to other awesome bands…. as well as keep you updated as to what Jimbo is up to.
Here is Jimbo’s main website, if you want to check it out.
- Album Premiere: Pete RG, ‘Reaching For the Moon’ October 5, 2015The Los Angeles-based indie singer-songwriter delivers a new EP with his band, featuring former Pearl Jam drummer Dave Krusen in the lineup.Chris Steffen
- New Classical Reviews October 5, 2015From interpretations of the works of Vivaldi, Haydn and Beethoven to new renditions of pieces from modern masters like Philip Glass and Steve Reich, our classical editors came across many excellent releases last month.AllMusic Staff
- Album Premiere: Joe Louis Walker, ‘Everybody Wants a Piece’ October 2, 2015The veteran blues guitarist pushes onward with Everybody Wants a Piece..Chris Steffen
- Album Premiere: Bob Forrest, ‘Survival Songs’ October 2, 2015The veteran of the Los Angeles rock and punk scenes, who now serves as a prominent addiction recovery counselor, releases his first full-length solo album.Chris Steffen
- Korn Guitarist James “Munky” Shaffer Looks Back on Their Debut and Early Days October 1, 2015As the band embarks on a tour playing its 1994 debut in its entirety, James “Munky” Shaffer reminisces about some of the band’s earliest tours, which songs from that record still surprise him, and how the band reacted the first time the bagpipes were brought out.Chris Steffen
- Album Premiere: Pete RG, ‘Reaching For the Moon’ October 5, 2015